Morning Tuesday Peeps!
I know lots of people who are on the move at the minute and it’s said to be one of the most stressful things we can do. So here are my top tips for keeping it as calm and cheap as possible.
- Clear out: If you’re even thinking about moving, have a good clear out. Firstly, you’ll have less stuff to move and secondly, you might find stuff you can sell to help towards removal costs.
- Pack up: When you know you will be moving start packing the stuff you don’t use often but need to keep (like photo albums, occasion tableware, Christmas stuff, etc). Also, don’t waste money on packaging kits…ask your local stores for boxes, wrap stuff in newspaper or kitchen towel and if you have to buy parcel tape and bubble wrap, they sell the stuff in PoundWorld. Cheap or free is the way to go. 🙂
- Plan ahead: Once moving day is set, start planning the day: what’s priority to pack, (tip: keep the kettle and drinks with you for a cuppa as soon as you get to your new home!) who’s going to be there, vehicle, pets, cleaning old place afterwards…there’s a lot to do so a checklist will help. Also, some removal companies will charge more the later you book and if you know how much you’ll have to pay then you can budget for it.
- Removals: Speaking of booking removals, unless you are unable to do the moving stuff yourself, I suggest hiring a self-drive van. It’s cheaper and not so time-bound as you can usually hire it for 24 hours so you won’t be clock-watching if you haven’t finished by tea-time.
- Enlist some help: Find some family/friends/church members/neighbours/ teenagers that will work for a cuppa and a pasty or cake. If you can find help, it will ease the load.
So that’s my 5 top tips for moving house….have you got any to add?
Have a good one,