Legend has it that when Mr Bell invented the telephone, he wanted us to say Ahoy and not hello! Eh, you live and learn!
So today I want to share this scrummy recipe with you, perfect for Christmas…or any other time for that matter! I acquired it from my binge-watching of Kirstie’s Handmade Christmas, so all credit for the recipe goes there, but I am so doing this for Christmas, it ‘d go beautifully with the tree-shaped cheeseboard I saved on Pinterest this morning!
- 1 large, or 2 small, white onions, chopped
- 6 firm pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3/4 pint (or 425ml) of cider vinegar
- 8oz/ 225g soft brown sugar
- 1 cup of dried fruit (whatever you want, they used sultanas and cranberries) soaked overnight in orange juice
- 2oz/60g chopped and toasted walnuts
- 1 tsp each of ground cinnamon and allspice
- 1/2 tsp dried coriander
- heat onion in a pan until soft but not browned
- add the chopped pears and apple
- add the cider vinegar and bring to the boil
- add the spices and brown sugar
- drain any excess from the soaked fruits and add them
- add the walnuts and allow to simmer for at least 5 mins
- boil your glass jars so they are hot and sterilised
- test the chutney thickness….drop some of the liquid on a cold plate and run your finger through it…if the line stays then it’s ready
- hot fill your jars and seal immediately. Easy as that.
Should last up to 12 months….if you don’t eat it all! It can always be given as a gift (which would also save us from eating the lot! 😉 )
Catch ya later my festive chums!