Happy Monday Peeps!
It’s a mere 13 weeks/ 3 months to Christmas and it certainly feels like it here!
My daughter has a cookery class today and is supposed to be making this soup, so credit goes to the local school’s technology department for this recipe and not me. 🙂
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small onion
- 10oz/250g Root Vegetables (carrots, parsnips, leeks, etc) We put 1 large carrot and 1 parsnip into her box
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2oz/50g Streaky Bacon (Optional… leave out for veggie version, or make the bacon smoky to pep up the flavour)
- 1 litre (about 1 & 3/4 pints) of Vegetable Stock; made from 1 cube
- 2oz/50g Pasta (dry weight)
- 1oz/25g shredded cabbage.
- Peel and cube root vegetables (1cm/ half an inch- or slice if using leeks)
- Chop the bacon (if using) and add it to a large pan with the oil onion and garlic (both finely chopped)
- Once the bacon is coloured, add the vegetables and stock, then bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Add pasta and simmer a further 10mins
- Add cabbage and simmer for 5 mins, and season to taste.
- Serve with a crusty roll, croutons and possibly a swirl of pesto (teacher’s idea, not mine)
The nice thing about this is that you can change it up: You can have bacon, or not, smoky or not, and choose the veggies and pasta shape you desire. We did noodles but it really would work with any pasta and is perfect for a cold, grey day! 🙂
Have a good one peeps,