I adapted this recipe from The Daniel Plan Cookbook so It’s diet-friendly, Low GI and without bread it’d be gluten free.
- 2 Courgettes (Zucchini for those across the pond)
- 10oz/250g Mince (I used lean beef this time, but turkey thigh works too)
- 1/2 large or 1 small Sweet Potato, diced
- 1/2 large or 1 small Red Pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of Passata
- 3oz/80g Grated cheese (optional, omit this if on Daniel Fast)
- Wholemeal Bread roll and proper butter (again omit on Daniel Fast)
- Light olive oil and black pepper for seasoning
- Split the courgettes lengthwise and place those (skin side down) and the diced vegetables onto a baking sheet or in a small roasting tin drizzle with oil and season with black pepper. Bake at 180C/GM4 for about 20 mins until soft and hot all the way through. (You may need to remove the onion and pepper before that as they are softer,)
- Brown mince in a frying pan.
- Using a dessert spoon, press down the centre of the courgettes (or scoop out seeds)
- You can either mix the veggies and passata in with the mince or layer it like I have (so I can leave onion out of teenager’s and I had a meat-free one) and then spoon passata over
- Top with cheese and return to oven until cheese has melted.
Tips and variations:
- If not keen on Courgettes, the mixture can be put straight into the roll like a traditional Sloppy Joe.
- Meat free is easy, I just put a bit more sweet potato in
- If you are not having bread, you can have 2 courgette halves to fill you up
- Add your own veggies, I added diced mushroom once which was quite nice, but I didn’t do that last night so it’s not pictured….have fun experimenting!
Talk To You Later