I always like things that can do more than one meal, so it keeps my budget down and gives me flexibility in he week if I have to change a meal for a quicker one, or one a fussy eater would eat, etc.
Mince can be any type you prefer, but white meat (Chicken or turkey mince) and veggie stuff don’t really work for recipe 2. I use lean beef mince or turkey thigh mince (darker meat)….. Don’t forget. you can also use mince for Cottage Pie !
!. Easy Bolognese
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 10oz/250g Mince
- 1/2 Red Onion, diced
- 1 Carrot, diced (or grated if trying to hide from kids)
- Passata (about 1/2 of a small carton or a tin, but I do it by eye)
- Seasoning: I use a pinch each of Pepper and Dried Sage, but Italian or Parsley work too….have fun experimenting.
- 1-2 tbsp Oil for cooking
- 2-3oz/50-75g per person of Dried Pasta or Spaghetti (So around 200-250g for 4)
- Put Pasta on to cook as per instructions (usually 15-20 mins)
- Heat oil in frying pan and lightly fry the onion and carrot (if carrot dice are too big they’ll still be crunchy, so you may want to par-boil them first, if using)
- Add Mince and keep stirring until mince is all brown and cooked through.
- Add seasoning and enough Passata to coat the mince and stir.
- Serve over cooked pasta topped with grated cheese or sour cream
2. Homemade Burgers: (Serves 4)
- 1lb/400g Mince
- 1tsp each of Dried Parsley and either Sage or Chives (Sage is a warm spice, chives more oniony, your choice)
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs (if making them fresh 1 roll or 2 small slices of bread)
- 1 Beaten Egg (or a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard if you feel adventurous, or need it dairy free)
- 1 Clove of Garlic, minced
- Oil for frying.
- If you have no breadcrumbs or garlic mincer, you can either crumble bread by hand and finely chop garlic, or blitz it in food processor with herbs
- Mix these dry ingredients with mince and egg (or mustard if you’re braver than me…hubby liked it)…. you can mix with a spoon but your hands are gonna get messy anyway…..
- Separate mix into 4 equal parts and make into thick discs.
- Put oil on a griddle or frying pan and cook 5 minutes
- flip (add cheese to top now if you wish add a pan lid (or metal baking pan on griddle) over burger (to create steam) cook a further 2-4 minutes until all golden, not pink.
- Serve on a burger bun (preferably with fried onion!) Enjoy!
You can vary so much by adding extras like Onion, or changing the meat, herbs or heat level (with mustard or a pinch of Chilli powder)…..have fun experimenting!