I love flexible recipes! Both of these chicken recipes can be served on top of pasta, rice or with any potatoes and veg.
Breaded Chicken: (will cover 2 large breasts, wings or legs or 6 strips)
- 1 Soft Roll or 2 Slices of Bread
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- Herbs and Seasoning of your choice~ I use a pinch each of salt, black pepper, sage and chives (all dried), but you could use onion/garlic powder or something hotter!
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp Grated Cheese
- Break bread into crumbs with hands or quick blitz in the food processor, add seasoning and mix it in
- Drizzle oil onto a baking sheet or roasting tin
- Breadcrumbs in one bowl, beaten egg in another, dip the chicken in egg then breadcrumbs
- Repeat if necessary, add coated chicken to the tray and cook for 15-20 mins for small pieces or 30 mins for large pieces, at 200’C/GM 6 (if your oven’s heat comes from the top only, may need to be on middle shelf so top doesn’t burn)
- Add grated cheese at the last minute and return to top of oven or grill (broiler for those in USA)
- Serve on top of cooked pasta with warmed Passata (or bolognese sauce) drizzled over (my family like extra Passata in the pasta first, then put chicken on and drizzle)
***PLEASE wash hands thoroughly after touching raw chicken! You don’t want Salmonella!***
Bacon Wrapped Chicken: (Serves 4)
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 4 Rashers Bacon
- Grated Cheese
- Sauce of your choice (Brown, Barbeque, Pasta sauce…)
- Oil for cooking
- Drizzle oil over roasting tin or baking tray and lay a piece of bacon on it for each person.
- Place a piece of chicken across the middle of each strip of bacon and a dollop of sauce to top of chicken (this isn’t necessary if you’d rather have it plain and please don’t use ketchup or mayo…they don’t do so well in the oven! Add them afterwards)
- Add grated cheese and wrap the bacon over so it covers cheese/sauce
- Bake in 200’C oven 20-30 minutes (depends on size of chicken pieces…. test chicken by skewering thickest part to make sure it’s white and juices clear, pink is not good. Bacon will be nice and crispy too…a good sign on any level 😉
- Serve on rice and vegetables or with chips and fried eggs or even instead of your normal roast meat on a Sunday
Try with BBQ sauce and smoky bacon or a strong cheese with a tomato-based pasta sauce for 2 totally different flavours!